I spent numerous hours looking into what appear now to be separate gzipping issues / non-issues with my site.Continue reading post "#1724"
Gzip compression is almost universally recommended as a basic step to improving site performance. It basically uses a little bit of extra processing on the server and client to significantly reduce the transfer size of most text responses. In Apache, this is done with
mod_deflate (see the H5BP config for an example of how to set this up).
A while back, I was setting gzip up on my server, and wanted a simple way to verify that it was working and check how much transfer was saved. One simple way to verify it is working is with
curl on the command line. If you run
curl -I -H 'Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate' example.com and see the header
Content-Encoding: gzip, compression is working. To test the transfer savings, I wrote a simple script using PHP’s curl library. It makes a request with and without the
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate header, and compares the transfer data info provided by