My server, and with it my blog, a client site, and other web properties, was down for four days. I put in a support ticket and didn’t get a response until the fourth day. I’ve been with Dreamhost since 2009, and using DreamCompute since 2017, but I don’t think the product gets nearly the focus that their shared / managed stuff does. I use Digital Ocean at work, and it has been a much more polished and solid product for unmanaged VPS. That is where my site is now hosted.Continue reading post "Goodbye Dreamhost, hello Digital Ocean"
There was another DreamCompute incident leading to downtime of my site / server.Continue reading post "DreamCompute downtime incident 2020"
My server and site were down for about 16 hours from Tuesday evening (≈18:08) to Wednesday morning (≈10:36). This was due to a significant problem that occurred due to an upgrade to the Ceph system running Dreamcompute. Numerous people were affected, based on Twitter posts, and we still have little information about what happened.Continue reading post "DreamCompute disruption incident"
I decided to contact Dreamhost about my Apache logs showing 200 statuse codes for all
mod_rewrite responses. It took seven back-and-forths to get across what was happening, discuss options, and conclude that “DreamHost systems are configured with a default environment meant to meet the most common webapp and customer requirements”.
I’ve done some more testing on the problem I mentioned before of all requests showing up as
200‘s in the Apache log on my Dreamhost shared server. I’m pretty sure it’s specific to their
We use Rackspace at Cogneato. Looks like they just got bought.
Dreamhost now has PHP 7, so I’ve switched my main sites to it. Seem at least slightly faster.
I am using Awstats for my site statistics on both my home server and my dreamhost host. Dreamhost provides statistics with Analog automatically installed, but I prefer Awstats. Awstats is very good at accounting for robots and has a nicer interface. It is also more configurable since I have access to the full configuration files.
I used the following method to use one install of Awstats for the multiple sites I have hosted on each server. I use SSH. If you don’t have that available, you can modify the instructions to work with FTP. The symbolic link (ln -s) bits would have to be modified. You’d simply put the actual configuration files in the cgi-bin directory (the conf directory was merely a convenience for upgrades) and probably put the actual “wwwroot” directory in the proper location on the site.
These are just my setup notes, so apologies if they are cryptic:Continue reading post "Awstats"