Not sure what happened, but the Jetpack Markdown plugin setting got turned off by itself.Continue reading post "#2456"
The tenth annual, and my ninth, Cleveland GiveCamp started today.Continue reading post "Cleveland GiveCamp 2019: day one"
Welp, got my first pingback / trackback spam since I closed regular comments about a month ago.Continue reading post "#2019"
Apparently, callbacks to the WordPress function
add_filter() don’t receive more than one argument to their callback unless you specify the fourth argument to the add call as a number greater than
I guess the WordPress setting “Automatically close comments on articles older than x days” does close pingbacks as well.Continue reading post "#1993"
I serve my site over both HTTP and HTTPS to support older browser that can’t support modern or any HTTPS protocols. I prefer HTTPS for search engines and general use though, as it is more secure, increases user privacy, and is factored into SEO rankings. Due to an issue with my sitemap, Google ended up indexing all of my blog pages as HTTP. The first thing I’m going to try to get Google to show my blog pages as HTTPS is to set the
rel-canonical link to the HTTPS version regardless of which protocol the visitor uses. WordPress doesn’t have a built in way to change the canonical URL, and I didn’t want to install a heavy SEO plugin just for this, so I wrote my own.
This simple plugin removes WordPress’s
rel_canonical action, then replaces it with its own. I basically re-implemented WordPress’s own functionality, replacing the
https before outputting the link. It looks like:
I was using Jetpack’s sitemap plugin and even submitted it to Google until I noticed that it had the wrong protocol for all of the post URL’s. Now Google has a bunch of ‘http’ URL’s for my posts in its listings, even though they are available over ‘https’. I couldn’t figure out how to change the protocol (there is no config or documentation about where that is coming from) so I just disabled the sitemap for now.Continue reading post "#1071"
I’m slowly copying the markdown versions of my posts after my recent move of this blog. It really is tedious, and I don’t think I’ll finish anytime soon, so in the meantime I created a plugin to output the
[ code] shortcode that wordpress.com put in my post export in the same way that markdown does. This is the first plugin and shortcode I’ve created in a long while, but it was relatively quick to do working off of my posts on plugins and shortcodes. The biggest time consumer was figuring out how to deal with whitespace issues. Apparently, WordPress sometimes will add
<br /> to shortcode content. Also, there were leading and trailing line breaks adding unnecessary space. My quick solution: