I replaced my rear brake pads tonight. As I was told when I had the car in the shop recently, they were down to metal or very close. It took me a couple hours, including time getting passable lighting set up, going in several times to get tools, and going for a drive to make sure everything seemed fine.

I watched a YouTube video and learned some improvements to how I did things previously. I spent more effort cleaning things, using brake cleaner and a wire brush. I spent some time on the rotors. They should probably have been replaced, but I hadn’t bought new ones, and they weren’t too terrible, so I just sprayed brake cleaner and wire brushed them several times. I’ll probably replace them next time.