I updated to Mac OS Monterey (12.5) finally. It went smoothly but I’m still working through getting some of my dev software updated and working.Continue reading post "#3780"
PHP’s defacto package manager, composer, has long required large amounts of memory to do updates for larger projects, often more than servers or virtual machines have. The script will die with an out of memory error, or more recently, the simple message “Killed”, and do no work in these situations. The normal procedure is to develop locally, deploy local lock file (
composer.lock) to the server, and run
composer install instead of
update. But I’ve recently moved to doing most of my development in VMs, so I have had to work around this problem to get things installed or updated. A swap file is the solution for Linux machines provided in the official docs and expanded in a StackOverflow answer.
I’ve been playing with JS lately, including ES modules and building with Rollup, Babel, and Terser, along with other accessories. One thing I’m disappointed with of ES modules in the Nodejs ecosystem is dealing with third party imports. Using the “bare” specifiers that Node expects works fine in that environment and thus tools running in it (possibly needing helpers), but they don’t work at all directly in the browser. This is discussed in this post by Jake Archibold, for instance.
Import maps are one solution in the works, but that requires explicitly mapping every dependency, which could get complicated fast when dependencies have dependencies. It also is only in draft stage and only works in Blink based browsers currently.
I eventually gave in to the idea of having server code rewrite the paths in the js file responses to point to a symlinked
node_modules folder, similar to what is mentioned in this post by the Polymer project. I created a PHP test server for one of my projects that does this.
I made it through the first week of working from home during this virus-caused lockdown.Continue reading post "#2746"
I had a bit of a scare at work today, thinking that a site that accepts credit card payments was allowing them to go through without running the charge through the payment gateway.Continue reading post "#2567"
This past week, my coworker and I had to deal with stressful problems with Cogneato‘s bulk email / newsletter system.Continue reading post "A tale of bulk email system woes"
Kind of a late night working getting a messed up newsletter send back on track.Continue reading post "#2031"
GiveCamp is done. It was a success. We finished the chat app for Rubber City Theatre that will be used in live performances starting in June.Continue reading post "GiveCamp 2018: Final day and end"
I am quite tired, so I will be brief. I didn’t sleep well last night and am hoping to fare better tonight.
The project has gone much better than I expected.Continue reading post "GiveCamp 2018: Day two"
Day one of GiveCamp comes to a close. This year I’m working on a project for Rubber City Theatre.Continue reading post "GiveCamp 2018: Day one"