For some reason, the Homebrew version of composer hasn’t been working recently, either 2.6.1 or 2.6.2. So I’ve manually grabbed the phar from getcomposer.org and replaced the file it was getting. I’m running the latest MacOS and up to date Homebrew, PHP, and Composer on an Intel Macbook Air. When I would run composer, I would get an exception
Sad to hear of Bram Moolenaar’s recent death. RIP. He was the creator and main developer of vim, the common and influential *NIX text editor. I encountered the editor in the early aughts from a CS professor who used it and was very quick with it. I’ve used it over the years on Linux servers, where it is one of the few command line editors always installed. It has a learning curve, but I’ve gotten comfortable with it over the years. With the death of the Atom editor, I’ve been moving toward vim as my primary editor.
Bram continued to steer the development of the editor up to its death, so it will be interesting to see where it goes without him. Some complained he kept the editor from modern features, resulting in a fork called neovim. We’ll see if vim modernizes more without Bram, if the project slows or dies without him, if neovim takes over, or if perhaps some efforts to re-merge the projects are made.
Apparently, an update to VirtualBox after version 6.1.26 limited the IP’s usable for network adapters on Mac / Linux hosts. They must now be in the 220.127.116.11/21 range, which is pretty limited and much less easy to remember or type than the 10.*.*.* that I had been using. I had to change my projects to all be in this range and spread out the IPs to avoid collisions between the various projects when I updated VirtualBox a while back.
For some time, I’ve been wanting to set up a backup for my Github repos. Technically they are all backed up by my local copies, which are also backed up when I back up my local computer. However, I wanted something that was sure to have everything from all the repos (all branches, tags, etc) and could be set up and run continuously on a yet-to-be-created backup server. I have create a bash script to do this for me.
After hours of playing and learning some details of vimscript, I have improved the autocomplete in vim almost to where I like it. I’ve made it work more like some GUI editors, eg Sublime and Atom, where it pops open automatically as I type and I can tab to apply the selected choice or otherwise type on and ignore it, and otherwise clean up the experience. The main thing I would like to add is fuzzy matching. I’d also like it to match more in-document words and work for more unknown file-types in a generic way.
At some point recently, git init on my Mac has started to default to the branch name “main”. It did this for a repo I created today, but not for one created August 29th, so maybe Apple made a change in an update sometime between then and now. I haven’t been able to find anything about the change on the web though.