I went to see the art at Akron Art Prize yesterday. Today was the last day, so I wanted to get in before then. I spent some time looking through the many art pieces. I actually read the little description and gave a good look at nearly every piece. There were lots of interesting pieces, but several that especially caught my eye, in no particular order, were:
- Blue Woods by J David Norton: I’ve been intersested in multi-layered transparent pieces since I saw Haley Litzinger‘s resin work. This piece is all glass and cool with light going through it.
- White Goes First by Brian Parsons: I’ve always liked intricate chess sets. This one’s pretty good.
- Just a Random Tree by Kim Ley: The metallic background of this photo really makes it striking, almost 3D looking.
- Frog at Dundee Falls by Anthony Contini: Neat photo with a subject above and below water. I’ve tried to experiment with this in the past, but struggled to get good results.
- Photonic Mesmerizer by James Leverton: Interesting device, computer nerdy.
- Terror of One by Mac Love / ART x LOVE
- Tantrique by Scott Alan Evans
- Planet Akron by Joseph C. Levack
- Color Study in Red and Green No. 2 by Donald Woods
The event is one of Cogneato’s clients. We built both their website and the voting system. The voting system, which started as a web based SMS + website setup and migrated to a web-based phone app (PhoneGap with an API server) provided a lot of interesting experience, some of which I haven’t really had in other projects. This year’s primary challenge was figuring out how to get the PhoneGap part working and deployed, as the guy who used to do that left the company. I took some notes on the deployment part.